We enjoy keeping fit and look forward to Dave coming into school to teach us new skills with Box2Bfit.
On Thursday 26th April 2018 we took part in a swimming gala at Everyone Active. The year 5 and 6 boys and girls represented the school fantastically gaining 1sts and 2nds in a range of strokes. Well done to all the swimmers
Physical Education at Overdale CP School
Physical education develops the children’s knowledge skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities with the ability to evaluate their own and each other’s work. These include dance, gymnastics, games, athletics, swimming (KS2), and outdoor adventure activities. Physical education allows for children to think about their own bodies in action and the effects that physical activity has upon them. Physical education in school enables us to promote a healthy and active lifestyle outside of school, and allows for the children to be encouraged into taking part in individual and team activities.
Strengths of the Physical Education:
- Pupils actively take part in a wide range of sporting activities
- Progression of skills are effectively taught through the use specialist coaches and teachers.
- A vast amount of children participate in extracurricular activities (47% of the whole school 45%PP)
- Children are given the opportunities to acquire lifelong skills (riding a bicycle, swimming)
- The all-weather running track enables children to actively sustain a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Children are given opportunities to make links with local sports clubs.
- Children are given opportunities to represent the school in a wide range of competitive sporting events across the area.
Areas for development:
- Girls’ participation levels in extra-curricular activities could be improved and encouraged.
- Girls’ participation levels at competitive fixtures could be encouraged more throughout the year.
- Resources need to be respected more throughout school to ensure that all staff and children can utilise equipment and maximise opportunities to acquire and develop sporting skills.
- Subject leader to gain a better understanding of the teaching and learning of P.E. at Overdale School through learning walks.
- To enter a wide range competitions for girls within the Scarborough Sports Partnership.
- To conduct a learning walk for P.E. that will enable the P.E. subject leader to gain a better understanding of the quality of P.E. teaching.
- To conduct a full equipment audit to enable staff to request any new equipment that they may require.
- Continue to provide a range of extra-curricular opportunities for all children.
Year 4 all completed the mile raising money for sports relief. We walked, jogged and ran the mile.
Year 4 enjoyed a very active session completing a Box 2 B Fit circuit. They also learnt about healthy eating and the importance of exercise.
The children enjoyed working with Dave from Box 2 B fit, completing a circuit involving lots of different activities. We were very impressed with the children’s listening skills – Well Done Reception.
Hi all – We have had a brilliant two days at East Barnby, it has snowed and we’ve been sledging. The food is delicious and we’ve eaten really well. We have been trying hard to go straight to sleep and once we do we’ve been sleeping through the night. Our wellies are wet, our clothes are muddy but our faces all have big smiles on them.
See you Friday
Year 5 and 6
Wow what a fantastic few days at East Barnby
On Monday we arrived at East Barnby and I felt nervous and a bit sad but I soon felt happy. First we went beck scrambling for half of a day. When I was walking across the river I fell in but I carried on (a bit wet). We had to crawl through tiny gaps between boulders – this was the best bit. At the end of the scramble we had to climb up a 400m hill. It was so steep we had to use the ski method (crab walk). I was really proud of myself when I finished.
Our evening activity was an orienteering alien hunt around the grounds. My group found about half of them as it was so dark. I loved running around with my torch and I was exploring the grounds as well. It was a happy first day.
On Tuesday we went mountain biking which was tricky because my shoes kept slipping off the pedals but by the end I almost got the hang of it. We cycled around Dalby Forest and my hands were freezing as it was snowing.
After a picnic in the carpark, we went orienteering in the forest. We had some beepers which were like a USB stick that we beeped to collect our data. It was fantastic. My partner was Tom and we finished the orienteering course.
At night our activity was sledging which was cool. We slid down the ski slope and we had lots of fun. I liked going down the slope and spinning around. We even had a race at the end!
Today we have been canoeing down the River Esk. It was a big adventure and really fun! We canoed in groups of 6 and it was hard steering, also very tiring on my arms! I was with Ollie and Kai.
Tonight we have been on the night line game where we had to go around a rope course, through tires over planks and over tunnels. We went round in partners and one was blindfolded.
This week has been so fun. We have been canoeing today and we got cold and wet but it was really worth it. I was really scared at first because I have not done it before. I surprised myself because I was quite good. We travelled far and stopped on a pebble island for lunch.
When we got back we got changed for tea out of our waterproofs because they were wet. Then we went tea which was pork and potatoes with gravy.
After that we got our waterproofs back on and I went sledging. It was really fun sliding down, I went really fast!
It is now bed time and I am reading a fossil book which I bought at the tuck shop.
I think it is great here!
Hi everyone I have enjoyed a lot of this trip it has been so fun and I am upset I have to leave tomorrow. I have really enjoyed canoeing and lots more. I have also enjoyed mountain biking because there was lots of bumps and it was really fun. I have not been scared or missed home. I am absolutely fine and there is no need to worry.
Hi everyone, I have enjoyed this trip a lot as it has been really fun. My favourite activity was canoeing and I also liked mountain biking. I am absolutely fine and there is no need to worry.
Hello people of the world I have survived the last four days. My favourite activity was canoeing but I nearly fell in. My worst activity was beck scrambling mainly because I got soaking wet. It was good on my birthday and we celebrated with cake. At the minute the disco is on.
By Summer- Lee
Hi peeps, I am okay and the last four days have been fun-packed and exhausting. My favourite activity was canoeing, because we got to play a few games and we went for like one or two miles. We have also been beck scrambling and we had to cross through a river twice and both times my wellies got full of water both times.
J By Mieka J
Hey guys, I have enjoyed these past few days but my feet and hands have been really cold. My favourite part of East Barnby so far was when I canoed on the Esk. We all played some games where we jumped up and down in the canoe and I nearly fell into the water. My worst part of East Barnby was when my feet have been frozen. I have enjoyed this week, it has been really fun.
Hi guys, I have enjoyed the last fun-packed days but, it has been so cold. My favourite part was beck scrambling because I enjoyed it so much. We have also been bush crafting and our instructor got us all stuck in mud, even Miss Bielby was stuck. This adventure was really fun!